Some days you want a quick meal that doesn’t require a whole lot of thought or preparation.
I started looking in my pantry and found a can of Italian-Style Wedding with Meatballs & Chicken soup. Hmm. Why did I buy this? I have no clue.
But I decided to challenge myself to create a dish with this can. I guess you can say it was my home version of Chopped.
I had some Swiss chards that I needed to cook. Plus a pack of chicken legs.
As you can see just a few random items. I created one of the most tasty chicken dishes with only a few of the simplest ingredients. I’m calling this dish my Pantry Chicken Dish.
This dish is all about simple ingredients that can be elevated to create an easy dish.
Pantry Chicken Dish
- 1 Bundle Swiss Chard
- 2 lbs. Fresh Natural Chicken drumsticks
- 2 links Sausage Sliced
- 2 14.5 oz Chicken Stock
- 4 Cloves Peeled Garlic Minced
- 1 small White onion
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper
- Dry Parsley Generous amount
- Poultry Seasoning Generous amount
- Slap Ya Mama Generous amount
- Dry Basil leaves Generous amount
- Smoked Paprika Generous amount
- Cooked Rice Desired amount
- 1 19 oz. Italian Style Wedding Soup
- 1 tsp. Hoff's Hot Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- olive oil
- Swiss Chard
- Fresh Natural Chicken drumsticks
- Chicken Stock
- White Onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- Poultry Seasoning
- Slap Ya Mama
- Dry Basil leaves
- Smoked Paprika
- Cooked Rice
- Italian Style Wedding Soup
- Hoff's Hot Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Season the chicken generously with slap ya mama, poultry seasoning, smoked paprika, basil, parsley and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Tear the leaves of the Swiss Chard off of the stems.
- Rinse the Swiss Chard.
- Pat Dry the Swiss Chard.
- Cut the Swiss Chard with a knife. Set aside.
- Slice the sausage. Set aside.
- Mince the garlic. Set aside.
- Dice the red bell pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot.
- Brown the chicken drumsticks. Browning on all sides. About 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil if necessary (optional step)
- Brown the sausage about 5 minutes. Push on one side of the pot.
- Saute the onions and bell peppers. About 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic. Don't let the garlic burn. 1 - 2 minutes.
- Remove the garlic, onion, bell peppers and sausage. Set aside.
- Add the swiss chard, stirring often. 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add the Chicken stock. Stir.
- Add the Italian Style Wedding Soup to the pot. Stir.
- Add the Chicken, sausage, veggies back to the the pot. Stir.
- Simmer for 25 - 30 minutes on medium to high heat. Internal chicken should be 165 F.
- Add Hoff's hot sauce to kick up the heat and the flavor.
- Taste for seasoning. Add additional seasoning and spices if necessary.
- Serve over rice.