I have a confession, I’m not much of a vegetable eater? I know, I know, yes I need vegetables. But I have a few that I like. Collard greens are an excellent source of vitamin A, C, and calcium. In addition, rich in vitamin K, and a good source of iron, vitamin B-6, and magnesium. Collard greens are very good for you. This is something that I do eat.
Cabbage is a good source of Vitamin C, high in fiber and Vitamin K.
Collard greens + Cabbage = a very nutritious dish.
Today I’m sharing my Cajunified Collard Greens and cabbage dish.
Very simple and easy to make.
- Cabbage ( 1 head, chopped into pieces)
- Collard Greens (bag, rinsed and washed)
- Cajun andouille sausage (2 links, sliced)
- Shrimp (Peeled and deveined, 1/2 lb)
- Slap ya mama (season to taste)
- Smoked paprika (season to taste)
- Garlic powder (season to taste)
- Smoked Sea Salt (season to taste)
- Olive oil (small amount to saute shrimp and sausage
- Chicken stock ( 16 oz)
- Season the shrimp with slap ya mama, smoked paprika, garlic powder. Set aside.
- Slice the sausage links. Set aside.
- Cut the cabbage into big pieces, but cut evenly for cooking time. Here is a video of how to cut a cabbage
- Rinse the cabbage and drain. Set aside.
- Add some olive oil to a pot. Heat.
- Saute the sausage on both sides, about 5 – 8 minutes. Remove from the pot. Drain on a paper towel. Leave some of the oil to saute the shrimp.
- Toss in the shrimp. Saute for 3 – 5 minutes or until cooked. Remove and set aside. If there is oil remaining leave it in the pot.
- Add oil if needed before adding in the collard greens.
- Toss in the collard greens, cook for 3 -4 minutes. Stir often. Don’t brown.
- Add in the cabbage. Stir together. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock. Stir.
- Season the collard greens and cabbage with slap ya mama, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Toss in the sausage. Cook for about 10 minutes on a medium to low heat.
- Place the lid on top.
- After 10 minutes, season with smoked flake sea salt. Replace the lid cook for 5 more minutes. Stir. Check and see if the collard greens and cabbage is tender enough.
- Stir in the shrimp. Cook for 5 – 8 minutes.
- This dish is a meal alone but if you need ideas, serve with cornbread muffins or over rice with pork chops and gravy or even just rice.
- Come back and let me know if you make this dish.