|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||4 - 5 hours|
My mom loves a good Rueben Sandwich. She has been asking me to find a place here in Houston that serves one. We tried a few but she wasn't impressed. A few weeks ago she came in for a visit, I decided to try my hand at making her one.
I've only eaten a Rueben maybe once or twice, so I'm no expert as to what a Rueben Sandwich should taste like. I did some research to see how the sandwiches are typically prepared. I decided to create my own recipe.
- Uncooked Corned Beef Brisket
- Swiss Cheese
- Slap Ya Mama
- Smoked Paprika
- Peppercorn Medley
- Yellow Mustard Seeds
- Beef Broth
- Thousand Island
- Jewish Rye Pumpernickel Deli Swirl
- Olive Oil
The ingredients I used are fairly simple and were easy to find.
- Season the Corned Beef Brisket with Slap Ya Mama (or seasoning of choice) and Smoked Paprika. Season generously.
- Add to crockpot.
- Cover meat with Beef Broth.
- Add Peppercorn Medley.
- Slice onions. Add to crockpot.
- Cook on High heat for 3 - 4 hours or until tender.
- Once cooked, Remove from the crockpot. Use a knife to slice the corned beef. Depending on how you want your sandwich would determine the thickness of the slices. Add back to the crockpot.
- Saute the sauerkraut with a little olive oil. 1 -2 minutes. Set Aside.
- Toast the bread.
- Build your sandwich. Thousand Island on both breads.
- Add Swiss cheese on one side. Put in the oven until melted or use a skillet to melt the cheese.
- Add Brisket.
- Add Sauerkraut.
- A little more thousand island.
- Simple and easy.
This sandwich was a winner! My mom was so happy for her sandwich. She loved it.