My kids love Lasagna. I like Lasagna too but not as much as them. One day I was trying to decide what to cook and they said Lasagna. I felt like eating soup that day, so I figured out a compromise, Lasagna Soup.
I know immediately some will be skeptical but just hear me out.
What do you do when you want soup and your kids & husband want Lasagna? Create a Lasagna Soup. The best of both worlds.
- Shredded cheese blend
- Marinated Italian Mozzarella Balls
- Fresh Basil
- Green Bell Pepper
- Tomatoes (Whole)
- Ground Meat
- Slap Ya Mama
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Italian Sausage
- Marinara Sauce
- Beef Stock
- Smoked Paprika
- Dry Italian Herbs
- Dry Fennel Seeds
- Lasagna Noodles
- Italian Diced Tomatoes
- Dice the celery stalk.
- Dice the bell pepper.
- Julienne the onion.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Add a little olive oil to the pot. Brown the ground meat.
- Season with slap ya mama.
- Add water to another pot with salt and a little olive oil. Boil the water. Once boiling, break the lasagna noodles in half. Add to Boiling water and prepare lasagna as usual.
- Set Ground meat aside when done.
- Brown the Italian sausage.
- Saute the onions, bell peppers and celery.
- Return the Ground Meat and Italian sausage back to the pot.
- Add the beef stock.
- Add the Jars of Marinara. Stir.
- Add the diced tomatoes.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes. Stir.
- Add the dry parsley, Smoked paprika, Oregano, nutmeg, italian herbs, fennel seeds, Stir well. Lower fire to medium to low heat. Cook for 15 minutes or so. Taste. Add more seasoning/spices if necessary.
- Once noodles are cooked add to the pot. Stir a little without breaking the noodles. Top with cheese, a generous amount. I didn't use as much, but go crazy with the cheese. As my kids say the cheesier the better.
- Broil the cheese in the oven for 3 - 5 minutes or so.
- Serve a hefty amount of Lasagna soup in the bowl. Top with Marinated mozzarella balls and extra cheese if desired. I also added a little oil from the marinated mozzarella balls on top. But this step is optional.
- Garnish with Fresh Basil.