Back in Louisiana years ago there was a popular restaurant named Bennigans. We would eat at this restaurant often. Some of our favorite dishes were the Fish n Chips and their Famous Monte Cristo Sandwich.
The restaurant closed in Louisiana but is still open in other areas. But when it closed we could no longer find the sandwich anywhere in the area.
A company called Good, Food & Stuff https://www.goodfoodandstuff.com/real-red-raspberries sent me some spreads and jams. Which prompted me to recreate this sandwich, The Monte Cristo Sandwich.
“The Real Red Raspberry vegan spread is made from WHOLE raspberries (not out of raspberry puree) through a slow-cooking process in order to preserve ingredients and the taste of real raspberries. Containing 80% raspberries, the spread has a unique natural taste and texture, with actual fruit pieces in it. No seeds were removed. You can really taste the raspberries“.
Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 3 Eggs
- 4 Sliced Smoked Turkey
- 4 Hickory Smoked Sliced Ham
- 4 Sourdough bread
- French's Classic Yellow Mustard Spread on one side of bread
- Kraft Real Mayo Spread on one side of bread
- Powdered Sugar Sprinkled on top
- Real Red Raspberry Spreads For Dipping
- 4 Hand-fulls Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 Sargento Thin Sliced Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Pam Butter Spray or Melted Butter
- 2 Splashes Lactaid Milk
- Ground Cinnamon
- Hickory Smoked Ham
- Sliced Smoked Turkey
- Sourdough Bread
- Yellow Mustard
- Powdered Sugar
- Real Red Raspberry Spread
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Sliced Mild Cheddar Cheese
- Pam Butter Spray or Butter
- Lactaid Milk
- Build your sandwich. You will need 2 slices of bread per sandwich. On the inside of the bread, spread mayo on one and mustard on the other.
- Top the bread with the mayo with sliced cheddar cheese.
- Top the bread with the mustard with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Top the sliced cheddar cheese with the Smoked Turkey.
- Top the shredded mozzarella with the Smoked Ham.
- Put together. Set aside.
- Repeat for the second sandwich. Set aside.
- Beat three eggs in a wide pan. Add cinnamon. Similar to a french toast but without the sugar in the mixture.
- Add a few splashes of milk to the mixture. Beat again.
- Dip each side of the sandwich with the egg mixture. Keep together to avoid the ingredients inside of the sandwich falling out.
- In a pan spray the pam or add butter.
- When hot add the sandwich to the skillet. Browning on both sides and until the cheese is melted. If the cheese isn't gooey like you would like once the bread is browned on both sides. Place in a toaster oven on the toast feature for a few minutes.
- Cut sandwich in half, OOEY GOOEY Goodness.
- Sprinkle the sandwich with powdered sugar.
- Serve with raspberry spread. Enjoy!