White Beans is something I grew up eating. My dad cooked white beans a lot. Beans can be prepared on the Stove, the Crockpot and now the infamous Instant Pot.
I have to be honest I didn’t like the Instant Pot at first. The more I used it, I realized that it had the ability to be a great asset to my cooking. Especially during busy seasons.
Today’s recipe is my Instant Pot Navy Pea Beans. Navy Pea Beans is a form of White beans but may not be the white beans that most of us grew up on which is the Great Northern Beans.
They are very similar but Great Northern Beans has a more nutty flavor. Where as a Navy Pea Beans is a white bean with a subtle flavor. I actually prefer the Navy Pea Beans.
Instant Pot Navy Pea Beans
- 3 links Smoked Sausage Cut Sausage into bite size pieces
- 1/4 Onion Diced
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 lb Navy Pea Beans
- 1 hand-full Parsley Rough Chop
- 4 cups Water
- 1 QT Organic Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Slap Ya Mama Seasoning Generous amount
- Smoked Paprika Generous amount
- Garlic Powder
Instant Pot Navy Pea Beans Ingredients:
- Smoked Sausage
- White Onion
- Bell Pepper
- Navy Pea Beans
- Organic Chicken Stock
- Olive Oil
- Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Peel and dice the onions.
- Dice the bell pepper.
- Slice three links of sausage into bite size pieces.
- Press the Saute Button on the Instant Pot.
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- Once heated. Add in sausage and brown on both sides for about 10 minutes. Stirring often.
- Push aside the sausage to one side and add the onion and bell pepper. Stirring and cooking until glistening. About 5 - 8 minutes.
- Stir onions, bell peppers and sausage together.
- Add the navy beans.
- Add chicken stock and water. Stir.
- Place the lid and make sure it's on tight.
- Then switch the setting on the instant pot to Pressure Cooker option on High for 1 hour and 5 minutes.
- Once time is up and the pressure has been released, removed the lid.
- Stir. Switch to the bean and chili setting. Add Smoked Paprika, Garlic Powder and slap ya mama. Taste.
- Cook for an additional 15 - 20 minutes. Stirring often.
- Serve over rice or cornbread.