Who grew up eating pop-tarts? Pop-tarts for breakfast was the norm. We ate pop-tarts for breakfast all the time.
I tried that with my kids but they weren’t having it. They don’t like pop-tarts for breakfast.
I made some for them not long ago that was homemade for a snack and guess what? They were a hit! I’ve attached the video recipe
I decided to test a different kind of pop-tart recipe on my family, a Savory Pop-tart.
This is not the full recipe, but a step by step tutorial that I did and what I did wrong. I am hoping to do another one with measurements and exact recipe.
Savory Shrimp & Spinach Pop-tart
- Puff Pastry Sheets (be sure to check directions before starting. I had to take my pastry sheets out 30 minutes before I was ready to use it).
- Peeled and Deveined Shrimp (1 lb).
- Aged White Sliced Cheddar Cheese
- Baby Spinach
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Slap Ya Mama Seasoning (desired amount)
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Butter (melted, enough to brush the outside of pop-tart)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Fresh Parsley (Chopped)
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened)
- Pie Crust for top and bottom (Optional if you want to do a Savory pie instead)
- Be sure to Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add a little olive oil to a skillet, once hot toss in the spinach. Saute with a little Slap ya Mama (about 3 minutes or so).
- Remove from the skillet. Add to a paper napkin. Remove the excess liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the shrimp into small pieces. Add to a bowl.
- Season the shrimp with slap ya mama & old bay seasoning. (Desired amount). Set aside.
- Melt butter, add garlic powder.
- Add softened cream cheese to the bowl with the shrimp. Stir gently. *I used the entire package of cream cheese, I would recommend maybe half of the block instead).
- Drain the spinach again. Then toss into the bowl with the shrimp and cream cheese mixture. Set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry and divide in appropriate sizes for the pop-tart.
- Once the pastry sheet is ready. Add a piece of the sliced cheese on top of the puff pastry.
- Add a tablespoon of the mixture to a sheet. Then add a generous amount of shredded cheese on top of the mixture. *I didn’t use enough cheese on top of my mixture to make it cheesy. So don’t be afraid to add a generous amount.
- Add the top puff pastry sheet on top.
- Seal with a fork all around.
- Brush with the butter on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 18 – 22 minutes or until golden brown on the outside. This time can vary depending on how full the pop tart is.
- Optional: If you want to make a Savory pie instead, just roll out the pie crust in the pan. Bake the crust a little before adding ingredients (Approximately 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add sliced cheese to pie crust. Then add the shrimp, cream cheese and spinach. Top with cheese.
- Add the top layer of pie crust. Seal.
- Brush with butter.
- Cut some slits in the top.
- Bake until the outside is golden brown and ingredients are cooked inside. About 20 minutes or so. Baking time may vary.
- Serve with a salad.
Below is what the pie looked like. Really yummy also.
I’m also attaching the link to the Instagram Reel for you to see the step by step process.